3 Critical Showit SEO Mistakes Costing You Money & Traffic
#1 Showit SEO Mistake
Not Having Analytics
Not having analytics installed is a major SEO mistake. Many Showit users forget to add their analytics tracking when publishing their sites. Google Analytics is free–no excuses, use it.
Google Analytics can:
- Determine when & if people are looking at your site
- See what information visitors are looking for
- Find out which days and times visitors are visiting your site
- See device and browser data
- Determine which pages visitors are landing on
- Learn the bounce rate of pages
- Figure out which blog posts are viewed most often
- Find out where your traffic is coming from
Stop assuming how people use your site and what they’re looking for and use the Google Analytics–it’s free.
Successful businesses are built on data and rely on visitor information to make data-lead decisions that impact strategic site changes and SEO campaigns.
With the data pulled from Google Analytics, you and your SEO professional can help determine a strategic SEO plan that will increase site traffic and better serve visitors.
If you’re not sure if Analytics is installed, you can use this free Chrome Extension to find out.
How to add Google Analytic 4 to Showit
If you’re not familiar with how to add your analytics tracking code to Showit, click here.
#2 Showit SEO Mistake
When auditing Showit sites, I often see templates and designs that are misusing text tags. Headers are the primary way on-page content tells Google what the page is about.
When doing SEO for clients, I align keyword research to each header and the content to ensure that site users understand the content at a glance and that Google understands the context.
Each page needs 1 – H1 text tag. Users should utilize H2 & H3 text tags as needed, but think of using them as if you’re making an outline.
How to find and change Text Tags in Showit
Go to Text Properties – Advanced – Text Tag
#3 Showit SEO Mistake
Your Main Pages Not Indexed by Google
In my experience, 95% of Showit site pages are not indexed in Google. Why should you care? Google ranks pages not sites. By making sure your pages show up in your sitemap and submitting it to Google Search Console, you have a much better chance of competing for page rank.
This is extremely oversimplified, but true.
Do I need a Showit sitemap?
Having a Google-friendly sitemap of your website makes it easier for Google to put your URLs in search results.
Think of it this way, instead of letting Google decide what’s important on your site, you’re telling Google what’s important!
Lucky for you, using a sitemap plugin, Showit automatically generates an XML sitemap and all you have to do to take advantage of this is to copy and paste the sitemap URL into Google Search Console.
Submitting a sitemap is beneficial if you have a new website, have several web pages, or frequently update your site, blog regularly, have products, and/or run regular promotions.
Benefits of Sitemaps
Investing time and money into your Showit site with fantastic copy and beautiful designs that increase conversions deserves to be rewarded. Submitting your Showit sitemap on Google Search Console is a great way to ensure your URLs are indexed properly, that it shows up in search results quickly, and that you can gain organic traffic.
In-depth Guide to Showit Sitemaps
Learn more about Showit sitemaps, what they are, why they’re important, how to create one, what they should look like, how to edit them, and more.
If your Showit sitemap meets any of the following criteria, you need SEO
- Sitemap only includes an xml file that includes the word ‘post’
- Sitemap does not include an xml file that includes the word ‘page(s)’
- Sitemap only includes the home page & /blog/ pages
- Sitemap includes a page called /sample page
Helpful Tips For Optimizing Your Showit Website For SEO
When you’re ready to make your website SEO-friendly, here are a few tips to consider:
- Find a Showit template. Designs created by experienced SEO professionals already have your pages structured for SEO, so you just need to add the details.
- Invest in an SEO audit. An audit will show you how your website is performing and provide insights on how to improve its SEO.
- Work with a Showit SEO Expert & Website Designer. If you’re considering building from scratch or relaunching your website with SEO in mind, find a website designer that specializes in brand identity and SEO.
Take your next steps today by connecting with me today and establishing the best move for a search engine optimized website to start generating organic traffic from Google.
Contact me today and/or leave a comment with your questions!