Have you seen one of these fake Facebook reviews on your page? Facebook pages are battling an onslaught of spam & Meta seems to care less.
Read below to learn how I mitigate spam comments & reviews on professional pages.
Facebook Spam Facts
Before we cover anything, there are a few things you need to know:
- These links are spam & should be assumed to be malicious. NEVER CLICK ON THESE LINKS.
- Facebook Support:
- Facebook will never contact you first via Messenger. (And yes, there is a way to chat with support, but you have to initiate that interaction.)
- Facebook will not leave a comment or review.
Remediating spam reviews on Facebook pages is an annoying, yet easy process.
- First, navigate to the reviewer’s profile & report the profile as a scam
- Then navigate to the review itself and click the three dots on the top right corner of the review to report the review.
By reporting the profile itself, you’re doing a solid for other business owners & fighting the war on terror.
Spam Comment Prevention
Below are the steps & settings I use to prevent spam comments. Follow my advice at your own risk.
Navigate to your page, then to Settings > Privacy > Page and Tagging // https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=followers
Check that your settings are set like the ones above.
Within Privacy Settings, navigate to Public Posts. Scroll down to Content moderation, toggle ‘Hide comments containing certain words from page’.
Add whatever words you want to filter out. You can also add emojis. *This will not filter out reviews with those words, but it will prevent spam comments.
Scroll down to Restrictions and determine which countries you want to restrict, if any.
There you go, for now… Spammers will get creative and work around your best efforts; stay vigilant.